Monday, September 27, 2010

Module 9

It's all About the Networks...
!

!
Scootle is an amazing and very comprehensive directory of digital resources which are ideal for classrrom use. It requires quite a bit of time to work your way through the site initially, but in the long run I think Scootle would be a wonderful time saver and support for teachers! A variety of digital resources can be found on numerous key learning areas and topics, which are suitable for all ages. You can easily search for the topic and type of digital resource you would like, as well as the age group the resource is for. This is definitley a website I'd like to come back to, to explore further.
I had a quick look at the learning path options on Scootle, which are individualised online learning programs for students. These looked great, but again would initially be quite time consuming to set up. However, many learning paths have already been created and shared on the website, so you may actually be lucky enough to find the exact one you are looking for!

I found a couple of useful online activties that could be used with Stage 3 in Maths and Reading. They are quite fun and interactive and would b good educational activities for students to work on in group computer rotations in class. I have included the links below:

Maths-Time (Stage 3)


English- Comprehension (Stage 3)

A social network service is an online service, platform or site that focuses on building and reflecting on social networks or relations among people who share interetsts or activities. Popular social network services inlcude Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. These services offer an easy and efficient way to communicate with others about anything and everything! It is important to note that while blogs, wikis and nings are suitable social netwrking sites for students, sites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are not. However, the majority of our students use one or all of these sites socially outside of school.

While I think these sites offer many advantages, I have personally decided not to use them myself- primarily for privacy reasons. However, my husband recently set up a Twitter account for his business and I promised I would follow it, as he only has 3 followers to date! So, here goes...
Yay! I just set up a Twitter account! This was relatively simple, however, I'm still learning how to navigate the site. I did manage to follow my husband's tweets, as well as my friend's tweets, and post a couple of my own. I definitley need some practise though!
!

2 comments:

  1. Great work Malinda!! You are nearly there!! Keep going... only one more Module left!

    i agree with your thought of Twitter... I am still trying to figure it all out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malinda,
    I agree with you about the privacy issues and social networks...however now that I have been learning and exploring all these great new tools through the Web 2.0 course I am curious to see what they have to offer...but still not convinced that I need to be part of them all!
    You are really racing ahead with the course! Great work!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete