Monday, September 27, 2010

Module 8

RSS and Google Reader


RSS (Rich Site Summary) was a totally new concept for me...or so I thought. I have actually been using it for weeks while completeing this course without actually realising I was using it! I have been following many blogs and regularly reading new posts in Google Reader, which I have accessed via my Blogger dashboard. I found it so much quicker and easier than actually going into each person's blog separately to see if they had published a new post. I now understand how this all works...

RSS is a new, fast and efficient way to keep up with what's happening on the web. Instead of constantly checking to see what's new on your favourite websites and blogs, RSS enables you to have the information from these sites sent to your own home site, e.g. Google Reader, every time the information on these sites is updated.

It only takes two easy steps to get started...


1. Create a "reader" account, such as Google Reader. (This was done earlier in the course when we set up an iGoogle account).





2. Set up a connection between your reader account and your favourite websites. You can do this by choosing to follow a blog or subscribe to a website feed via the RSS icon (usually an orange and white square, like the one pictured below).




I had a quick look at the Directory of RSS feeds listed in the Module 8 activities and added one of these feeds to my Google Reader account, which was super easy. The directory includes lots of great resources that I'd like to peruse in more in detail.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/rss-directory.htm

1 comment:

  1. HI Malinda,
    You are right there is SO much to see and 'play' with and just not enough time!
    This course has become quite addictive for me...I spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs and exploring what all the fantastic new tools have to offer!
    Keep up the great work on your blog! I love to read your ideas!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete